Prof. Dr. Yves Haeck's Bio
Yves Haeck, PhD (Ghent University) (2007) and Master and Bachelor in Law (Ghent University) (1992) is a Professor at the Human Rights Centre and the Department of Constitutional Law of Ghent University, where he teaches ‘International Human Rights Law’, ‘Human Rights in Developing Countries’, ‘International Moot Court Human Rights’, ‘Migration Law’, ‘Constitutional Law’ and ‘Legal Clinic International Human Rights’. He is a Guest Lecturer at the University of Pretoria (South Africa) and is a former Associate Professor at the Netherlands Institute of Human Rights (SIM) of Utrecht University and a Visiting Professor at the University of Malta (Malta).
He is a co-founder of the Human Rights Centre of Ghent University. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the Inter-American & European Human Rights Journal and co-hosts a Blog on Top International Human Rights Courses, Traineeships & Jobs in Europe. He is co-director of the Programme for Studies on Human Rights in Context.
His research interests concern the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights, with a comparative focus on the Inter-American System and other regional systems, topics on which he has published and lectured widely.
He is co-authoring The European Convention on Human Rights. A Commentary (Intersentia Publishers, 2015, 900 p.), has co-authored the Handboek EVRM. Deel 1. Algemene beginselen (Manual on the European Convention on Human Rights) (Intersentia Publishers, 2004-5, 2777 p.) and Procederen voor het Europees Hof voor de Rechten van de Mens (The Procedure before the European Court of Human Rights) (Intersentia Publishers, 2011, 467 p.) and is co-editing Interim Measures in International Human Rights Law (Oxford University Press, to be published in 2015).
Prof. Dr. Yves Haeck's Education
- Doctor in Law, Ghent University, Belgium, 2007
- Bachelor and Master in Law, Ghent University, Belgium, 1992
- Studies and/or research abroad: European Court of Human Rights, Research Division, Strasbourg (2002) (Visiting Fellow); American University Washington College of Law, Washington D.C., USA (2001) (Visiting Scholar); Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain (1992) (Study visit)
Additional (inter)national (human rights) courses taken
- European Summer School ‘European Union Law and Policy on Immigration and Asylum’, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels (2007)
- Summer School ‘Academy on Human Rights Law and Humanitarian Law’, Washington College of Law, Washington DC (2001)
- Summer School ‘Interdisciplinary Course on Children’s Rights’, Ghent University, Ghent (2000)
Prof. Dr. Yves Haeck's Sideline activities/memberships
Membership International Educational Scientific Networks
- Co-founder and member of the Research Network ‘Assessing the Impact of the Inter-American Human Rights System’, a Network of 7 universities from Latin America, North America and Europe (2014 – present)
- Member Board of Studies ‘Mediterranean Master Programme in Human Rights and Democratisation’, University of Malta (2003 – 2007)
- Co-founder and member of the Latin-American & European Human Rights Network (LAEHR), a Network of 16 universities from Latin America, North America and Europe (2006 – 2010)
- Co-founder and main organiser ‘International Human Rights Academy’, an international human rights course, yearly organised in Africa/Europe under the auspices of 6 African, American and European universities (2002 – 2010)
Membership Ghent University and other Committees/Organisations
- Member of the Board, Faculty of Law, Ghent University (2014 – present)
- Member of the Board, Scholar at Risks Network (SAR), Ghent University (2014 – present)
- Substitute Member Alfa-Committee of the Research Council, Ghent University (2014 – present)
- Member of the Library Board, Faculty of Law, Ghent University (2000 – present)
- Occasional external Advisor Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) (2004 – present)
- Member Board, Flemish League for Human Rights (1996 – 1999)
Membership (inter)national academic journals
- Editor-in-Chief, Inter-American & European Human Rights Journal (2007 – present)
- Member Scientific Board, Revista Derecho del Estado [Journal of Public Law], Universidad Externado de Colombia (2014 – present)
- Member Scientific Board, Tijdschrift voor Mensenrechten [Human Rights Journal] (2003 – present)
- Member Scientific Board and Managing Editor, Jaarboek Interuniversitair Centrum Mensenrechten [Yearbook of the Inter-University Centre for Human Rights] (2000 – 2002, 1998 – 2003)
- Occasional peer reviewer for various international publishing houses/academic journals (2000 – ongoing)