Prof. Dr. Eva Brems' Bio
Prof. Dr. Eva Brems joined the Ghent University Law Faculty in September 2000 as the first holder of the then newly created chair of Human Rights Law. Before that, she studied law at the University of Namur (Bachelor, 1989), the University of Leuven (Master, 1992) and Harvard University (LL.M., 1995). She was a PhD Researcher at the University of Leuven (1995 – 1999) and a Lecturer at Maastricht University (1999 – 2000). At Ghent University, she founded the Human Rights Centre.
Eva’s research interests cover most areas of human rights law in European and international law as well as in Belgian and comparative law, with a particular emphasis on the protection of the rights of non-dominant groups and individuals. She has a keen interest in multi- and interdisciplinary research.
Eva has been an activist in the board of several Belgian human rights NGOs, including as the Chair of the Flemish section Amnesty International (2006 – 2010), and she was briefly active in politics as a Member of the Belgian Federal Chamber of Representatives (2010 – 2014).
Prof. Dr. Eva Brems' Other Activities
- Member of selection panel ‘Law & Criminology’ of FWO (Research Fund Flanders) 2018
- Member of the Human Rights Policy Committee, Ghent University
- Member of the ‘Scholars at Risk’ Steering Group, Ghent University
- Executive Committee member and chair of the roundtable committee, International Association of Constitutional Law
- Board member, Plan International Belgium
- Member of the Honorary Council, Vereniging voor de Verenigde Naties
- Member of the Errera Council for advice on foreign affairs to the Flemish adminstration
Involvement in law journals
- Member of the editorial board, Revue trimestrielle des droits de l’homme
- Member of the editorial board, ECHR law review
- Member of the editorial board, L’Europe des Libertés/Europe of Rights and Freedoms”
- Member of the editorial board, European Journal of Human Rights/Journal Européen des Droits de l’Homme
- Member of the editorial board, Tijdschrift voor Bestuurswetenschappen en Publiekrecht
- Member of the editorial board, Belgian Review of International Law
- Member of the editorial board, Tegenspraak
- Member of the advisory board, Human Rights Quarterly
- Member of the advisory board, International Journal of Children’s Rights
- Member of the advisory board, Journal of Constitutional Law (Turkey)
- Member of the advisory board, Journal of Diversity and Gender Studies